cynthiamullis.com/design | cynthia-at-cynthiamullis.com | 206-675-8934 | Seattle, WA
— Education and Training—
Design Edification — School of Visual Concepts, Seattle, WA
Certificate, Web Design — Seattle Central College, Seattle, WA
AAAS Degree, Graphic Design — Shoreline Community College, Shoreline, WA
Certificate, Nonprofit Arts Management — University of Washington, Seattle, WA,
Master of Arts, Jazz Performance — Queens College, New York, NY
Bachelor of Music Performance — University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
— Professional Experience —
Content and Design
Freelance, Seattle, WA, 2006-2016
- Clients include The Seattle Women’s Jazz Orchestra, Cascade Bicycle Club, Origin Arts, Tangent Construction, Gender Diversity, Music Works Northwest, St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, and others.
- Created websites, brochures, posters, and collateral for non-profits, schools, and small businesses.
- Created written content, photography, and graphic design for web and print projects.
- Analyzed client and user needs to develop content and design strategy for projects.
- Created information architecture, wireframes, prototypes and UX/UI designs for client web sites.
- Managed hosting, domain registration, database and server interaction for client web sites.
- Designed and developed custom WordPress themes for web sites using HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, and PHP.
- Utilized Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Acrobat) for all phases of web and print projects.
Burke Museum of Natural History, Seattle, WA, 2010-2011
- Worked on a contract basis with the Curator of Native American Ethnology, staff, faculty and graduate students to create web sites used by the museum’s large constituency.
- Analyzed client and user needs to create content strategy and information architecture.
- Designed, developed and launched web site for “Truth vs. Twilight” in conjunction with Quileute Tribe.
- Developed an HTML prototype mockup for the “California Indian Narrative Project.”
- Created a Flash interactive mockup for “Vampires and Indians: The True Quileute Story Behind Twilight.”
- Utilized XHTML, CSS, PHP, Flash, and Adobe Creative Suite for project creation.
eLearning Department, Shoreline Community College, Shoreline, WA, 2008-2010
- Designed, developed and maintained web sites for eLearning Department used by a campus of 13,247 students and over 1000 faculty, staff and administrative personnel.
- Developed, updated and maintained eLearning web content for student and faculty web sites.
- Worked with eLearning team to support instructor-led and web-based training.
- Applied principles of online learning and instructional design methodologies to website content.
- Redesigned and updated tables-based web site to XHTML/CSS standards compliant code.
- Redesigned information architecture to create a cohesive user experience.
- Utilized Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and SharePoint to create and maintain web site.
- Utilized proactive problem solving methods to constructively handle unexpected problems.
- Managed relationship with school IT department to integrate department site into larger school site.
Spindrift Art and Literary Journal, Shoreline Community College, Shoreline, WA, 2006-2008
- Designed, created and managed production of 116-page, award-winning college art and literary journal.
- Worked as Art/Layout Editor, Typography/Layout Designer, and Managing Editor for three issues.
- Designed and produced book cover, typography and layout using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Managed literary, artistic and promotional elements of journal.
- Produced a book within tight budget and deadline constraints.
- Worked independently and as a manager of a 12-person team.
- Worked with printer on pre-press preparation and print production.
All About Jazz Seattle, Seattle, WA, 2005-2010
- Created layout and design of a bi-monthly, 16-page promotional newspaper for Origin Records,a nationally recognized, award-winning jazz record label based in Seattle.
- Utilized Adobe Creative Suite to format text, edit photos, and create publication layout and design.
- Wrote and created photos, articles, reviews and concert listings for web and print publication.
San Francisco, New York, Seattle, 1991-2016
- Provided professional music services to a wide variety of clients, venues and audiences.
- Utilized strong interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communications skills to teach private lessons, music workshops, and clinics to children, teenagers and adults.
- Wrote grants and received funding for musical projects, including a Jack Straw Artist Support Grant and the Music Educators Resource Program at Music Works Northwest.
- Performed music in settings ranging from busking in Times Square to Teatro Zinzanni, The Big Apple Circus, Diva Jazz Orchestra, numerous weddings and corporate events, performances with ensembles at the Kennedy Center, Jazz Alley, Tula’s, Benaroya, Triple Door, Bumbershoot, and jazz festivals in Peru, Europe, Canada and the U.S.
- Please visit Analog Honking Device for complete biography and music samples.
— Interests and Activities —
Long-distance bicycling, open-water swimming, running, photography, writing, jazz music, travel, learning Spanish